How many websites and how much traffic can the atom hold?

Your comments about articles (and other materials) published at this site.

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
soulwatcher1974
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How many websites and how much traffic can the atom hold?

Post by soulwatcher1974 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:29 am

I am very inspred about your atom server story. I was wondering how many websites you have on your atom server? And how much traffic are you getting? And what do you think the max amount of websites a atom server can hold and whats the max amount of traffic do you think it can push? I cant wait to hear back from you. :joy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How many websites and how much traffic can the atom hold?

Post by BarsMonster » Sun May 09, 2010 10:46 am

soulwatcher1974 wrote:I am very inspred about your atom server story. I was wondering how many websites you have on your atom server? And how much traffic are you getting? And what do you think the max amount of websites a atom server can hold and whats the max amount of traffic do you think it can push? I cant wait to hear back from you. :joy:
With careful setup and optimized sites Atom can easily saturate gigabit link (=26Tb traffic per month :crazy:).
My sites were serving 20-300 requests per second, which means serving several millions hits per day is not a problem.
Number of sites is limited by you storage mostly.

In practice, I've never had more than 1% load with some 5-10'000 unique visitors per day across all sites.

soulwatcher1974

Post by soulwatcher1974 » Sun May 09, 2010 11:35 am

Wholey crap thats good news, I seen on newegg you can get the Intel d510 bare bones for $129 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product Just add ram and a hard drive! :joy: Theres a place about 20 minutes from my house where you can colocate a server for $50 per month. They give you a 100Mbps connection and 2,000GB transfer per month. That would cost me $5 more then I am paying per month for my VPS and I could throw 4GB of ram and a 1TB hard drive in it. Its very tempting!

Are you still using the atom server? And if so can I see one of the websites hosted on it? I would love to see how fast it loads. I have a wordpress website with a forum and photo gallery. I wonder how it would run on a Atom server?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 am

soulwatcher1974 wrote:Are you still using the atom server? And if so can I see one of the websites hosted on it? I would love to see how fast it loads. I have a wordpress website with a forum and photo gallery. I wonder how it would run on a Atom server?
Unfortunately, not anymore, there was quite expensive trafic, so I switched to VPS with free trafic. I had very little load, so this did't caused any problems.
Wordpress might be very slow without proper setup (down to 5 reqests/sec).

Also, if you have alot of people here, and alot of images not fiting into disk cache, your performance would be very limited by HDD. I had an SSD on it.

Anyway, proper software setup first, hardware second. Good VPS might be better than ATOM if you are not limited by memory.