Homemade beta decay reactor ideas?

Your comments about articles (and other materials) published at this site.

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
conundrum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Homemade beta decay reactor ideas?

Post by conundrum » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi all.

Had a look at the tritium light source based reactor.

A couple of ideas for improvement.

1) Use an infrared LED (large area die) salvaged from an old camcorder illuminator instead of the solar cell.

2) Don't use a supercapacitor. These tend to be very "leaky", better to use something like a ceramic capacitor as they can be obtained in values of 100uF or more.

3) Use a circuit based on a low power switchmode oscillator like a JFET pair, tunnel diode etc.
These can operate on very low voltages down to 0.3V
I once had one of these based on a 2N3819/Ph3820 pair working on under 1 volt and lighting a white LED with under 200uA draw.

Kind regards, -A

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Homemade beta decay reactor ideas?

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 pm

conundrum wrote:Hi all.

Had a look at the tritium light source based reactor.

A couple of ideas for improvement.

1) Use an infrared LED (large area die) salvaged from an old camcorder illuminator instead of the solar cell.

2) Don't use a supercapacitor. These tend to be very "leaky", better to use something like a ceramic capacitor as they can be obtained in values of 100uF or more.

3) Use a circuit based on a low power switchmode oscillator like a JFET pair, tunnel diode etc.
These can operate on very low voltages down to 0.3V
I once had one of these based on a 2N3819/Ph3820 pair working on under 1 volt and lighting a white LED with under 200uA draw.

Kind regards, -A
I can only argue about #1.

Anyway, this article was a 1st of April joke, hope you enjoyed it. :crazy:

xperroni

Post by xperroni » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:25 pm

BarsMonster wrote:Anyway, this article was a 1st of April joke, hope you enjoyed it. :crazy:
Well, joke or not, I was intrigued by this idea of homemade nuclear-powered electronics. Those tritium capsules have got quite hard to find recently, but I've managed to order one from a Chinese online shop. When it arrives, I'll see if I can pair it to a set of electric motor and solar panel I have lying around, from a toy robot I bought last year and never assembled.

I have no electronics background whatsoever, but I wonder how hard would be to extend this project into something more flashy? I wonder if it would be possible to use the solar panel to power a battery, and then use the battery's power to drive a simplistic bot – just a PIC, a motor and a light sensor perhaps?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:46 am

xperroni wrote:
BarsMonster wrote:Anyway, this article was a 1st of April joke, hope you enjoyed it. :crazy:
I have no electronics background whatsoever, but I wonder how hard would be to extend this project into something more flashy? I wonder if it would be possible to use the solar panel to power a battery, and then use the battery's power to drive a simplistic bot – just a PIC, a motor and a light sensor perhaps?
You need much larger capsules. Waaaaaay larger. Or like 100 of small ones to make detectable amount of energy.
You will not be able to power a robot of it. Maybe just low-power microcontroller and a led, which would flash once in 30 minutes.