A little HDD

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A little HDD

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:49 am

I remember the times when I was logging in to ftp.cdrom.com and welcome message sayd, that it had 0.5Tb of storage, while I had 850Mb HDD that time.
I was thinking : "Wow! It must to so awesome to have 0.5Tb of HDDs" :-)

And now I see this on my PC:

(that's RAID5, so 3Tb physical storage used)

Why can't I send this 10 years back? :crazy:

Rolf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: A little HDD

Post by Rolf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:33 am

That means the humanity's R & D department in computer tech is working!

Hmm...Imagine...You appearing out of nowhere, say, in London, with a such an advanced tech.It's raining, people are staring, computers are quite old...and what do you do? You decide where to walk with the HDD...You take it, for example, to the biggest baddest computer development company...first, you have to prove that your not insane or make up a good story where you got that hard drive from...and, even if they will be able to reverse engineer it, I dont think it will be possible to reproduce it...

Back on Earth! It's not easy to travel in time.Not to mention disturbing the balance, who knows how will you alter the reality with such a innovative action.

Now then, what we actually would need is a SSD, with speeds ten times the SATA-600 standard, 10 billion years MTBF( that's about 10^16 cycles count, maybe) and 512 TB capacity.Nice ? :wink:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:04 am

Rolf wrote:That means the humanity's R & D department in computer tech is working!

Hmm...Imagine...You appearing out of nowhere, say, in London, with a such an advanced tech.It's raining, people are staring, computers are quite old...and what do you do? You decide where to walk with the HDD...You take it, for example, to the biggest baddest computer development company...first, you have to prove that your not insane or make up a good story where you got that hard drive from...and, even if they will be able to reverse engineer it, I dont think it will be possible to reproduce it...

Back on Earth! It's not easy to travel in time.Not to mention disturbing the balance, who knows how will you alter the reality with such a innovative action.

Now then, what we actually would need is a SSD, with speeds ten times the SATA-600 standard, 10 billion years MTBF( that's about 10^16 cycles count, maybe) and 512 TB capacity.Nice ? :wink:
That was awesome story :-)

While that 10^16 cycles might be real soon with new type of flash(phase-change memory), I doubt about capacity :sad: We might get like 4-8 times of data per square inch with phase-change ram + thinner litography, 22nm, probably 15, but that's the end, and noone have an idea how to advance further...

_haxxor_

Post by _haxxor_ » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:49 pm

how about the quantum computing era ?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:07 am

_haxxor_ wrote:how about the quantum computing era ?
It is not going to happen :-)

tamriel

Post by tamriel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:56 am

BarsMonster wrote:
_haxxor_ wrote:how about the quantum computing era ?
It is not going to happen :-)
Thats what the ppl thought 50 years ago ;D

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

tamriel wrote:Thats what the ppl thought 50 years ago ;D
The difference is that they are implemented and working now.
But their architecture limitations are disappointing :-)
You cannot run arbitrary tasks on quantum computer :-)