Pi calculation smashes records

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
_haxxor_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pi calculation smashes records

Post by _haxxor_ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:32 pm

(PhysOrg.com) -- A computer scientist in France has broken all previous records for calculating Pi, using only a personal computer. The previous record was approximately 2.6 trillion digits, but the new record, set by Fabrice Bellard, now stands at almost 2.7 trillion decimal places.

http://www.physorg.com/news182067503.html

"3.14.by" ;)

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Pi calculation smashes records

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 pm

_haxxor_ wrote:Image

(PhysOrg.com) -- A computer scientist in France has broken all previous records for calculating Pi, using only a personal computer. The previous record was approximately 2.6 trillion digits, but the new record, set by Fabrice Bellard, now stands at almost 2.7 trillion decimal places.

http://www.physorg.com/news182067503.html

"3.14.by" ;)
3.14.by/files/pi.zip :wink: :crazy:

_haxxor_

Post by _haxxor_ » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:44 pm

god i love pi and prime numbers :)

i only started learning c++ because of the prime numbers.
my only true love.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Calculating Pi was one of my dream-tasks when I started programming...
I remember throwing millions random points(that took 30 minutes on 80186 on Basic) in a circle to get 5-6 exact digits :-)

_haxxor_

Post by _haxxor_ » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:45 pm

BarsMonster wrote:Calculating Pi was one of my dream-tasks when I started programming...
I remember throwing millions random points(that took 30 minutes on 80186 on Basic) in a circle to get 5-6 exact digits :-)
what algorithm did you use above, to calculate that many digits ? (the zip archive)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:12 am

_haxxor_ wrote:
BarsMonster wrote:Calculating Pi was one of my dream-tasks when I started programming...
what algorithm did you use above, to calculate that many digits ? (the zip archive)
Unfortunately, that file wasn't generated by my program, although I implemented somes algoes from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi#Computa ... mputer_age
on my old Palm m500 (33Mhz CPU) :crazy:

Sc00bz

Post by Sc00bz » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:21 am

There's still a proof that needs proving/disproving "infinite twin prime numbers." A twin prime is a set of two prime numbers that are p and p+2: 3,5; 5,7; 11,13; 17,19; and 29,31. I looked into it back in college but then was like screw it there's been many more and smarter people that looked into it and it's not solved. I was looking at the pattern of possible twin primes and noticed it was basically the same as the pattern of prime numbers, but kind of stopped there as I can't prove my way out of a paper bag by proving that there is no paper bag :(. Maybe when I die I'll find out that there IS an infinitely large paper bag around the universe and that was my problem :).

_haxxor_

Post by _haxxor_ » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 am

I think there is a fundamental law that governs all the univers (multiverse(?)). => there is a rule for pi, primes and all the "random" stuff that occurs in the universe.

@Sc00bz, hope you try again, in a good day.
Sc00bz wrote:. I looked into it back in college but then was like screw it there's been many more and smarter people that looked into it and it's not solved.
THAT IS BULLSHIT. you need to do it on your own, you don't know when you find something new, smth that other, "geniuses" didn't saw.

don't forget : you don't need to be smart to discover smth. just a little lucky and you need to see the patterns. always the patterns.

_haxxor_

Post by _haxxor_ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:55 pm

New Pattern Found in Prime Numbers

(PhysOrg.com) -- Prime numbers have intrigued curious thinkers for centuries. On one hand, prime numbers seem to be randomly distributed among the natural numbers with no other law than that of chance. But on the other hand, the global distribution of primes reveals a remarkably smooth regularity. This combination of randomness and regularity has motivated researchers to search for patterns in the distribution of primes that may eventually shed light on their ultimate nature.

http://www.physorg.com/news160994102.html

i hope you enjoy this, cause i'm already looking into the matter :P