Very Important Question

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sc00bz

Very Important Question

Post by Sc00bz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:59 am

Which of the following are true:
A) Ethyl alcohol is only one atom away from acetone.
B) LSD is only one molecule away from caffeine.
C) Mercury is one proton away from gold.
D) Methamphetamine is only one molecule away from water.
E) Hydrogen peroxide and oxygenated water can be made up of the same exact atoms.
F) Margarine is only one molecule away from plastic.

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Very Important Question

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 am

Sc00bz wrote:Which of the following are true:
E) Hydrogen peroxide and oxygenated water can be made up of the same exact atoms.
I am not that smart :-D

_haxxor_
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by _haxxor_ » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 am

TRUE : A) Ethyl alcohol is only one atom away from acetone.
here
TRUE : E) Hydrogen peroxide and oxygenated water can be made up of the same exact atoms.
H2O2
TRUE : C) Mercury is one proton away from gold.
Au->79;Hg->80
TRUE : F) Margarine is only one molecule away from plastic.

What does "one molecule away" actually mean?

Sc00bz, tell us a way to make Hg into Au, and i'll pay you 1 million dollars cash.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 am

Mercury is indeed 1 proton away from gold, but IIRC, to "make" the specific gold from the periodic table, you'll need 2 neutrons.
There is a way to make Hg -> Au.Again, IIRC, it's some kind of bombardment.And there's no point in it, since you spend a HELL of a lot energy to get a puny amount of gold.And the output will be radioactive.

Sc00bz

Post by Sc00bz » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:55 pm

All are true except F... and C because I forgot I needed to mention which isotopes.

True, acetone C3H6O has one more carbon atom than ethyl alcohol C2H5OH.

True, replace the LSD molecule C20H25N3O with a caffeine molecule C8H10N4O2 :).

False, I really meant for this one to be true. I should of mentioned which isotopes I was talking about so technically this is false since I can find a case where it's not true. I was thinking of these two isotopes 198Hg and 197Au which are both stable with 118 neutrons.
On a side note give me some pure 197Hg and wait a 35 days or so and you have 99.99% 197Au.

True, replace the methamphetamine molecule C10H15N with a water molecule H2O :).

True, hydrogen peroxide is H2O2 and oxygenated water can be H2O+O. Well I'm pretty sure you can oxygenated water to that point, but I don't know how oxygenated you can get water. So this has a chance of being false, but I'm pretty sure it's true.

False, plastics are polymers (a large molecule with a repeating pattern) and margarine is a mixture of more than 3 compounds so taking away one molecule can't make it a compound. Compounds are made up of a single type of molecule (hydrogen peroxide). Mixtures are more than one compound (oxygenated water).
Well the only way this can be true is if you take a main ingredient in margarine that is a compound and replace it with plastic just like in B and D, then you can kind of say it's a plastic mixture.

Here's some common plastics that i found molecular formulas for:

Code: Select all

Formula                   Abbr    Name
(C3H6)n                   PP      Polypropylene
(C8H8)n                   PS      Polystyrene
(C2H3Cl)n                 PVC     Polyvinyl chloride
(C10H8O4)n                PETE    Polyethylene terephthalate
(C8H8)x·(C4H6)y·(C3H3N)z  ABS     Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene
(C2H4)n                   PE      Polyethylene
.    I think all of       UHMWPE  Ultra high molecular weight polyethylene
.    these have the       ULMWPE  Ultra low molecular weight polyethylene (PE-WAX)
.    same formula as      HMWPE   High molecular weight polyethylene
.    polyethylene         HDPE    High density polyethylene
.                         HDXLPE  High density cross-linked polyethylene
.                         XLPE    Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX)
.                         MDPE    Medium density polyethylene
.                         LLDPE   Linear low density polyethylene
.                         LDPE    Low density polyethylene
.                         VLDPE   Very low density polyethylene
I still need to find molecular formulas for the ingredients of margarine so I can see if they're even close (NaCl damn not even close to plastic), but keep in mind even if they are it doesn't mean anything. They could have the same exact atoms but be arranged differently and be completely different.

Anyway the reason I posted this is that I got a chain letter from my mom that had all this information about how bad margarine is and it said that margarine is only one molecule away from plastic. Which means nothing as any compound is just one molecule away from being any other compound. Well that and the fact that margarine is a mixture of more than 3 compounds and plastic is a compound making the statement pointless and false.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Kek.
Margarine consists mostly of organic fats and vegetable oils.Butter is better, margarine is cheaper, yet it contains crap like potassium sorbate etc.Anyways, margarine mostly consists of organic substances.
Plastics(95%+) are completely artificial, being polymers of mostly hydrocarbon structure.
Big difference, ehh?