My first working microcontroller

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My first working microcontroller

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-XPR-qsLc

atmega48 driving few leds leds with 2 PWM channels using sin from a contant table to slowly turn off/on leds with different frequency. Coding is done on C with CodeVisionAVR. I had no resisters at the moment of making this, so all resistors are drawn using usual pencil ;-)

Frama
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My first working microcontroller

Post by Frama » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:39 pm

How long did you take to do this?

*An other question I am curious about. How did you program it? Quite with CodeVisionAVR as you said I suppose. But how did you actually connect the chip with your computer in order to transfer the code?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Frama wrote:How long did you take to do this?

*An other question I am curious about. How did you program it? Quite with CodeVisionAVR as you said I suppose. But how did you actually connect the chip with your computer in order to transfer the code?
About 10 minutes to draw PCB using permanent marker, 30 minutes to etch it, soldering took like 30 minutes before I get used how to handle there SMD leds - they appeared to be extremely fragile (damaged 2 during soldering). Programming took like 10 minutes.

In order to flash it I had to make a simplest COM-based programmer - 2 diodes and few resistors and that's it. I have to connect it to old PC.
It took like hour more. Next goal is to build USB programmer using software USB stack, so that I can use just my main PC for that.

Frama

Post by Frama » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks.
May I dare ask another question? :str:

Can you show me exactly what kind of serial port do you use to actually connect the chip with your computer. I mean what does it look like? I suppose there is some kind of connector in the "motherboard". I guess you don't just have to plug the to a serial port with some tape :crazy:

I hope I don't bore you with my stupid questions... :oops:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:01 am

Frama wrote:Thanks.
May I dare ask another question? :str:

Can you show me exactly what kind of serial port do you use to actually connect the chip with your computer. I mean what does it look like? I suppose there is some kind of connector in the "motherboard". I guess you don't just have to plug the to a serial port with some tape :crazy:

I hope I don't bore you with my stupid questions... :oops:
Yes, I was using standard COM-port connector, bought it for like 1$ on the market.
Here it goes before etching and final form :-D

Frama

Post by Frama » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Once again, thank you very much.
It's not very common to see that kind of stuff. Even on the Internetz :crazy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Hehe, more complex stuff :-)

Display showing debug info. Microcontroller connected to USB, and works like a USB keyboard (simulating some numbers printing) :crazy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Another just-debugged piece of hardware:

Here are:
* USBASP Atmel AVR microcontroller programmer working via USB
* 3.3v power supply (in additional to default 5v supply)
* Additional 1.25 - 2.5v power supply
* Low frequency generator (2Hz - 1.5Mhz)
* High frequency generator (4kHz - 80Mhz)
* Logic "analyzer" (shows current state on a probe + pulse counter from 2 to 2^32 - so that one can visually measure frequency and see activity)

HI_VOL

Post by HI_VOL » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Wow, nice! Now teach it to crack MD5 :D
How did you manage it to get a good working PCB? I want to make something like that too... But atm im forced to my "Allgemeine Grundausbildung" at the German army -.-
However, i want to make a little Fan-Controller that can be controlled via Speedfan... but this is a huge project :D

*Thumbs Up*

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:22 pm

HI_VOL wrote:Wow, nice! Now teach it to crack MD5 :D
lol :-)
How did you manage it to get a good working PCB? I want to make something like that too...
Well, this appeared easier than I've thought.
I had alot of pain with UV-sensetive spray, but then I tried laser-printer method, and it worked fine from the very first time.
However, i want to make a little Fan-Controller that can be controlled via Speedfan... but this is a huge project :D
Not sure it's easy to do something controllable from SpeedFan...