Question about using GPU

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mega666
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Question about using GPU

Post by mega666 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:50 am

Hi there, :crazy:

I'm hoping some programming Gurus will help me a little bit. I just need to know if something is possible and how easy (for a programmer) it would be to implement it ;)

--------------

Question:
If you have a source code of an application* ==> can you adapt the code to use GPU to accelerate the the execution of the application ? Is it possible to use GPU to generraly accelerate the speed of the app ?

*The application is an image converter. It converts various files into image format (similar to PDF printer)

------------------------

Source is in c++ ==> so will it be possible to "tweak" the source code to take advantage of the GPU ?

Basically It would help grately if someone could just clear this for me ;)

If any of you guys could help answer the question it would be awesome. :wink:

Thanks.
:ugeek:

schwarzwaldhacker

Re: Question about using GPU

Post by schwarzwaldhacker » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Mega666, you need to be able to "parallelize" your application. One example:

In Crackers, each "thread" is testing one character combination/password. Therefore if you have 128 threads, you have 128 tests at a time and so on.

Is it difficult? Everything depends on the Code. If you have something trivial(Like sums) then it will be very easy. But you will notice that some hash-algorithms still haven't been implemented on GPU. Certainly also because coding on the GPU-Devices has its own rules and can be very difficult, from time to time.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable