Very huge problem. :0 Computer shuts down?

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
stephy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Very huge problem. :0 Computer shuts down?

Post by stephy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 pm

I love it and it seems to work nicely but before it can even backup a save so it knows where it left off my computer shuts off from running it in 5 minutes maybe?.. My computer is medium based quality and even tried to run this program after a restart using these settings. What's going on??

BarsWF_CUDA_x32.exe -r -h ac14cfc4e1fabaabdaf8e2e3ed1fa745 -c 0a -m
in_len 8 -grid_n 256 -gpu_time 50

Master_of_Erdinger

Re: Very huge problem. :0 Computer shuts down?

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:46 pm

Sounds like a heat problem.
Are you sure that your cooling is powerful enough?
And think about dust in the fans, try to clean it.
If that doesn't work post more details of your System.

greetings

stephy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by stephy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:51 pm

I play tf2 almost every night on it with all high quality settings and max 1440x900 resolution etc. though? 2gb of ram, amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 6000 3.1ghz, 9800gtx superclocked gpu (bought like that from evga)

Master_of_Erdinger

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:00 pm

At night it isn't that hot as over the day... Just a joke ;)

As i started to run BarsWF i recognized way higher temperatures as in games, maybe BarsWF uses the GPU more efficient.
Did you try to run it without the -grid_n and -gpu_time extensions?
And what kind of system shutdown is it? A rather normal shutdown or a rapid shutdown without halting and killing all processes (more like a power-off)?

stephy

Post by stephy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:06 pm

It's like a pulling the plug shut down to where it's instant or if you hold the power button like 10 seconds and then good bye. I didn't try without them.. actually I added them to help try and make it better like having it use more ram and also cut down on the gpu so I can try and perhaps browse a webpage instead of the default 1000 or 1500 w/e it was.

Master_of_Erdinger

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:21 pm

It sounds really like a hardware problem. Such rapid shutdowns are not typical for software faults.
What about the temperatures? Can you check them with tools like SpeedFan? And what kind of PSU do you have?

stephy

Post by stephy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:36 pm

My psu is this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... LL|RP500-2

The temps are in the picture I uploaded witch I guess cause of the little fire icons doesn't look good. :X This doesn't shut off though when using the gpu to encode movies using badaboom via cuda.
Attachments
hmm.JPG

Master_of_Erdinger

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

Quite hot... The PSU should handle it easy. I think it is really a temprerature porblem, maybe the system doesn't hang using badaboom because badaboom doesn't fire the GPU AND the CPU that much.
Are you able to open your case and try to clean it? Or are you sure no dust is blocking the cooler?
Hope i could help you!

stephy

Post by stephy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Something tells me that even if I did clean what dust is in there that it wouldn't matter much. When I built this pc I even added a crappy old cpu fan in there to perhaps help. I wouldn't have minded going water cooling perhaps but couldn't afford it. Is there another md5 cracking tool out there that is cuda based and saves your work?

stephy

Post by stephy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:10 am

I added a new fan or 2 from an old computer and cleaned out all the dust but it didn't seem to help much except not shutting off by 5 numbers? :X Are these results even good for my system if there supposedly very hot?? I say 5 numbers because I think I remember setting a shut off point in the mobo bios? It's been so long though so I can't say for sure. I just wonder if running this program will not overheat/perm mess up some of the hardware.. These results are from running under 10 minutes probably but it also might be a fluke because the case was open for a long time with me cleaning it and a fresh startup with it then going.
Attachments
wow.JPG

Master_of_Erdinger

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:48 pm

I don't want to assure that it won't mess up your components, but this temperature based shut down protects your hardware from getting too hot.
Furthermore your components are able to take even higher temperatures.
I didn't get it right, is your system stable now? I've some problems understanding your post since English isn't my first language.

Greetings

stephy

Post by stephy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:39 am

It's very close to the cut off point of the system shut down point as I think it's set to go off at 70c if the core/processor gets to that point? But after adding those fans and cleaning it seems to be a few numbers off from reaching 70c so yeah luckily it isn't shutting off. I've read up on the different temps. of the video card and processor to see what others are saying on if it's normal or overheating and it said if my processor is ran all the time at 60 or 70c then it would last a few years. I was thinking more like 1 but this is the first custom pc I've built so I'm still learning stuff. :D Thanks for the help.

Master_of_Erdinger

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:57 am

Ah okay I get it. :)
But if you are asking me, I would become insane by the sound of your machine! About 5000 RPM ?? What about getting a new CPU-cooler?
So have fun building your machine. ;)
I'm glad that I was able helping you.

stephy

Post by stephy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:23 am

People must be annoyed to easily then by sound because this is like a nice hum.. then again it's drowned out by my real room fan that stays on all the time almost. :D

Master_of_Erdinger

Post by Master_of_Erdinger » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:01 pm

Mmhh, problem solved. xD
But your hardware might thank you for a better cooling - no watercooling needed but a nice, huge heat sink with a big fan would affect wonders.

so long