How are current USA events viewed by those in Russia?

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bitweasil
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How are current USA events viewed by those in Russia?

Post by Bitweasil » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:39 pm

I am curious as to how the current events in the USA (massive bailouts, nationalization of the auto industry, "spend now, tax the rich later," etc) are viewed by those who have lived through such things in Russia over the past 40 years or so.

It seems to be a very similar road that Russia tried and decided did not work.

Thoughts on the USA's new Messiah, Obama, who will Fix Everything with Change?

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: How are current USA events viewed by those in Russia?

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:57 am

"spend now, tax the rich later" was never a way in Russia :-)
Majority thinks that USA government knows what it does, and everything would be fine, and it's economy would shine again.

Nationalization is always viewed positively here.

But some people think (and this number grows rapidly) that US-era is over, and now US citizens should face revenge for decades of overspending (when US constantly consumed twice more than it produced).
These does not convert money saving into $ anymore, and rather buy something worth of value (gold, land). Empires rises and falls. Now it's time for US to fall.

It is believed here that US president is just a "speaker", who cannot decide anything. Obama already failed to fulfill his promises to take troops out of Iraq, and will fail again and again.
Finally, when US would fall into disaster (not like now, real disaster), mass media would say "Obama did all that, such a black bustard, it's nothing to do with past 20 years, it's just Obama".

Personally I think the fall of US would be much more terrible than the USSR's one.
The key differences are:
1) In USSR people were working for free for couple of years (that's right, they were working every day and got no sailary at all). I don't think US workers can do that.
2) Citizens in USSR had no weapons, so when they were hungry, they were not going on the streets shooting everyone to get some food. Humans are animals. You may see some signs of the future in the Katrina events.
3) USSR was not used to consume twice more than it produced. Just imagine, how would usual Americans feel when they would be allowed to consume twice less than now. Especially these fat ones Americans.
4) in USSR people didn't forgot how to plant vegetables everywhere, not sure americans can do that in the cities. (imagine that - vegetables around concrete buildings)
5) In USSR only minority were ready to sell everything in the country. In US money is the main goal.

Frama

Post by Frama » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi (first post here by the way :D )

Just wanted to say something which I think is to notice. Obama is not just a "speaker". Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not discussing what you reported about him. Just trying to bring a piece of information. ;)

The point , or rather the problem, is that Obama is "stuck" in a system who don't let him to do what he said. He had to cope with problems who he never had heard about before. Which is actually the case for any big CEO taking office. (And please. Don't ask me what are those problems as I don't know... Realy. :roll: )

One more thing. Also I'll kindly ask you before to forgive me if it may seem quite "politically incorrect" :str: . It's almost the same position Putin is in. Russia is quite known for corruption, slightly but deeply affecting the economic growth which also reduce the political space in which Putin could move.

---
Beside that I would like to congratulate you. There is a lot of VERY interesting stuff here around. :crazy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:24 pm

Obama is "stuck" in a system who don't let him to do what he said
Totally agree.

And there is no need to be politically correct here :crazy: