Digital TV

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Digital TV

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:04 am

Just found occasionally that all analog TV channels will be shut down in US in 60 days.

We've bought a 19' TV for the kitchen which is digital capable (again, occasionally), but none digital channels in my country (Belarus) :wall: :crazy:
Is any of you already have seen digital TV broadcasts? (I mean from the air, not IPTV or whatever connected to LAN)

the_drag0n
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Digital TV

Post by the_drag0n » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:49 am

you mean digital sattelite ? i've been using that for years.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:55 am

the_drag0n wrote:you mean digital sattelite ? i've been using that for years.
No, I mean local TV broadcasting, via usual antenna. I.e. this is first revolutionary change since TV broadcasting started at 1930s. (color television is evolutionary, cause it is compatible with B/W TV)

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:00 am

yeah that is called dvb-t in germany and it totally sucks!
the quality is realy bad and there are only 16 channels i think.

Sc00bz

Post by Sc00bz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:06 am

I have that, in the US it is such a nice picture that someone thought we were stealing it. The only problem is that sometimes the channel cuts in and out.

You know what's awesomely wrong with the US, everyone knows about the DTV switch but almost no one knows that after the switch you still can get free TV with bunny ears. It's just going to be in a different encoding, digital and not analog.

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:26 am

Analog TV = mostly local channels and you use 'bunny ears' (2 massive antennas on the tv) to pick up the signal. Not many people use analog except for those in poverty here in the U.S. (cable/dsl TV costs maybe $20 a month?)

As for digital shows via airwaves, no. Most people get their shows either by Cable, DSL, Fiber or satellite. Once LTE or WiMax hit the market, we can expect to get TV via that but not at the launch.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:36 am

Sc00bz wrote:You know what's awesomely wrong with the US, everyone knows about the DTV switch but almost no one knows that after the switch you still can get free TV with bunny ears. It's just going to be in a different encoding, digital and not analog.
There will be free channels, but they would be digital, i.e. would not work without DVB-T capable TV or special converter box.
How much cable costs at your country? Here we pay 4.5$/month for 42 channels. There are no options :-)

hardfalcon

Post by hardfalcon » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:58 pm

DVB-T theoretically delivers a better picture than analog TV.

But practically speaking, you got several disadvantages:
- As DVB-T is digital, there are only 2 states: It works or it doesn't work. When you watch analog TV, even if the signal is bad, you can still watch it (you'll just have some white noise in the picture). With DVB-T, the treshold between "works" and "doesn't work" is quite low, so in cases were you would still have an (almost) flawlessly picture on analog TV, you might have no picture at all with DVB-T (even if the transmitter is at the same place in both cases)
- Almost all commercial DVB-T antennas on the market are generally total crap (even if they have a built-in amplifier, that doesn't help, as the amplifier can only amplify the crappy signal it gets from the antenna). It is easy to build a more or less "good" antenna (solder 2 pieces of about 70-80cm to your coaxial antenna cable, one at the shielding and one at the copper wire inside the dielectricum and you're done), but rather difficult to built the "perfect" antenna, because DVB-T is using an extremely wide frequency range (470 - 862 MHz). A "perfect" antenna would be a log periodic antenna (building which is an awful lot of work and a rather error-prone process). But there's still another problem: At least in Germany, private TV stations are simply not interested in DVB-T. Public TV stations are putting lots of efforts into DVB-T and have already put up a quite impressive network of broadcasting broadcasting towers (although it is still far behind the quality of the good old analog TV), but the (for most people more interesting) private TV stations are simply not broadcasting DVB-T signals.

DVB as such isn't a bad idea (after all it dramatically reduces the frequency range a broadcasting station needs), but the terrestial concept is simply outdated. It is complete nonsense to maintain an expensive network of broadcasting masts and towers which can be used by a few dozen TV stations at best in times of DVB-S (digital satellite TV). DVB-T is simply absolutely inefficient. In places where DVB-T would be effective (urban areas), most people have got cable TV, in the countryside, almost *all* people (at least here in Luxembourg) have got a satellite dish. Today, the equipemnt necessary to watch satellite TV doesn't cost mutch anymore (30€ for a receiver + 20€ for the dish + 15€ for the LNB, add a few metres of cheap coax cable to that and you're done).

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:08 am

Yeah, probably it is time to completely shutdown TV broadcasting, and give all these frequencies to wireless networks :crazy: . I was thinking it is reasonable to leave 1 for emergency broadcasts, but usual low-freq radio works better here.

Spaztikdude

Post by Spaztikdude » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:34 am

the_drag0n wrote:yeah that is called dvb-t in germany and it totally sucks!
the quality is realy bad and there are only 16 channels i think.
Only?

I can barely count 10 channels with different content in Australia. (Yet, that's still more than our analogue channels.)