Simple Questions

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Simple Questions

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:02 am

Manhat wrote:Hello, I am new here

I got here because of the great speeds I was seeing in BarsWF MD5 cracker (and I tried it out myself), and wanted to ask a few questions:

1) Where are all the other crackers that I have seen in the screenshots like, for example, the NTLM cracker? I can only find the MD5 cracker for download on this site, aren't there more?

2) Can BarsWF MD5 cracker handle more than one MD5 hash simultaneously? Cause if it can't, I haven't figured out how, yet.

3) This is more of a general question, but why are there so many MD5 crackers available? Where is the MD5 hash function used a lot (in storing passwords in a database? In HTTP cookies? where exactly?)? Cause I don't see that many LM or NTLM crackers, and these are the ones used by windows, so you would expect people to be using such crackers a lot.

Congratulations for a great tool!
1) Others are not public
2) No for now, you may upload your hashes to distributed thing
3) Because it is simple :-) Every script kiddy wants to feel himself "Ril haker" :crazy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Manhat wrote:
Others are not public
I see. Well, will they be public any time soon?
Probably not in a standalone version.
Manhat wrote:
No for now, you may upload your hashes to distributed thing
Are you planning to add that feature to future versions of your MD5 cracker? Will cracking a lot of hashes simultaneously be significantly slower than cracking one?
Probably not in a standalone version.
Manhat wrote:
Because it is simple Every script kiddy wants to feel himself "Ril haker"
So aren't there any examples of where the MD5 hash function is used? What about our passwords for this site?
This and many other sites uses salted MD5.

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Manhat wrote:3) This is more of a general question, but why are there so many MD5 crackers available? Where is the MD5 hash function used a lot (in storing passwords in a database? In HTTP cookies? where exactly?)? Cause I don't see that many LM or NTLM crackers, and these are the ones used by windows, so you would expect people to be using such crackers a lot.
Welcome :)

Short answer, because MD5 is easier.

Long answer.
MD5 is so much easier to obtain. Yes, LM / NTLM er more often used, worldwide, but in one location you'll often only see 2-3 users using LM/NTLM (Your personal computer). MD5 however, is used on major websites, we're talking millions of users. So in one place, you'll find millions of MD5's..

The only places LM/NTLM can conquer with these millions, are in corporate headquarters, where thousands of employees have stored their passwords in the same AD's. Allowing for the gathering of thousands of LM's.. These are often hard to reach, if not impossible.

Conclusion, LM is more popular, due to the amount of Windows machines, but MD5 is more used, due to the amount of websites storing passwords for many users in MD5. Therefore, MD5 is more interesting.

IvanG

Post by IvanG » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:55 pm

I think it's because LM (DES) much harder to implement than MD4/5. And when LM attack failed it usually means that password > 14 symbols, so totally pointless to perform bruteforce on NTLM (=Unicode MD4).
I guess many people actually interested in LM GPU cracker even with hundreds of rainbow tables available for LM now.

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

IvanG wrote:I think it's because LM (DES) much harder to implement than MD4/5. And when LM attack failed it usually means that password > 14 symbols, so totally pointless to perform bruteforce on NTLM (=Unicode MD4).
I guess many people actually interested in LM GPU cracker even with hundreds of rainbow tables available for LM now.
The attack CANNOT fail. As the LM will only accept passwords of less or equal to 7 characters in length.
Above 14 in length will be truncated to match 14 characters. An LM hash consists then of two parts, one for each 7 character piece.

IvanG

Post by IvanG » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 pm

LordMike wrote:Above 14 in length will be truncated to match 14 characters. An LM hash consists then of two parts, one for each 7 character piece.
Actually for passwords longer than 14 symbols LM hash isn't used and so it's not attackable (== attack failed), there no truncations. AFAIK.

And wiki also stands for it -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_hash.
However, because LM hashing is not used for passwords of 15 characters or longer, these are relatively strong.

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:34 pm

IvanG wrote:
LordMike wrote:Above 14 in length will be truncated to match 14 characters. An LM hash consists then of two parts, one for each 7 character piece.
Actually for passwords longer than 14 symbols LM hash isn't used and so it's not attackable (== attack failed), there no truncations. AFAIK.

And wiki also stands for it -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LM_hash.
However, because LM hashing is not used for passwords of 15 characters or longer, these are relatively strong.
That's not the way I've understood it..
Will do a simple test.

neinbrucke

Post by neinbrucke » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:57 pm

windows gives you a warning if you try a password longer then 14 chars, stating it won't be compatible with older versions (like win98).
The result is that it'll store an empty LM hash.

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 am

Ah..
I stand corrected. Cain can't do the hash in LM anymore either... After I made a 16 character password.