This is unbelivable...

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

This is unbelivable...

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:39 am

Today I was thinking: "Probably it's time to move to SVN..."

Also, today I was talking with my mom about HDD reliability (she have noticed old failed HDD on my desk), and I said "Sure, HDD fails - it's normal. So we have to use backups". She asked "But you cannot backup your stuff every day" - I replied "Surely I can, and I do, it is automated".

8 hours later... I've noticed that Visual Studio cannot open main .cpp file of BarsWF... I've thought WTF? It just disappeared. I scheduled disk check, and while checking it's log... It also suddenly disappeared...
Not sure was it SSD failure or some virus...

I've though: no problem, I have backup, it was done 2 hours ago, not a big deal.
I've checked backup, and it was kind old (2 weeks old). WTF?
Opened backup program, backup status - failed. WTF?
Checking log - "ZIP feature expired. Please upgrade the product to turn on this feature".
And all that absolutely silent. Handy Backup is a complete piece of shit.

Igor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: This is unbelivable...

Post by Igor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:51 am

You know the saying: "mum always knows best"?

She must've sensed on a subconscious level that your backup had failed - had you only checked by then ...

... and because of certain experiences, I check if backups are OK twice a week ;)

Have you tried restoring things from your SSD?

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:53 am

Code your own app :)

D3ad0ne

Post by D3ad0ne » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:32 pm

So the only copy you had of main.cpp was on the SDD you had? If it was a magnetic drive I might have some suggestions but not SDD. The thing about SDDs is that it is suppose to have leveling software. When it detects that a sector is going bad it is suppose to mark it bad and move those bytes somewhere else. I would suggest some recovery software, you may be able to get a functional copy back. :sad:

So how much work sense your last copy?

Igor

Post by Igor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:21 pm

D3ad0ne wrote: So how much work sense your last copy?
lostdata.png

shifter1

Post by shifter1 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:27 pm

If your program was open source, you would have still had a copy.

:mrgreen:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:40 pm

D3ad0ne wrote:So the only copy you had of main.cpp was on the SDD you had? If it was a magnetic drive I might have some suggestions but not SDD. The thing about SDDs is that it is suppose to have leveling software. When it detects that a sector is going bad it is suppose to mark it bad and move those bytes somewhere else. I would suggest some recovery software, you may be able to get a functional copy back. :sad:

So how much work sense your last copy?
Checked for viruses - there was no any.
Have no ideas why it got deleted. Probably I should have tried to restore deleted file on the file-system level (I was able to restore bootlog.txt disappeared right when I was checking it)...

I updated firmware for SSD, but still do not know what happened :-S

Fortunately, in this file I had not too much work done, so it is not that bad as last year :crazy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:27 am

Looks like it was a trojan thing, pretty new one, as DrWeb was not yet detecting it.
Good to see that it was not SSD failure, but at least I updated firmware on it :crazy:

schwarzwaldhacker

Post by schwarzwaldhacker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:06 am

I am sorry to hear that! Hope you will find a way, to restore things.
I was talking with my mom about HDD reliability
Family life in Eastern Europe must be pretty cool... :)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 am

Already rewrote all I did last 2 weeks :-) Lucky me only 1 important file was damaged.
Anyway, after that I've just ordered 2x 1Tb HDD to add to my home server to get RAID-5 there. Not going to suffer data loss ever again (as long as whole building is not destroyed by a nuclear explosion) :crazy:

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:48 am

BarsMonster wrote:Already rewrote all I did last 2 weeks :-) Lucky me only 1 important file was damaged.
Anyway, after that I've just ordered 2x 1Tb HDD to add to my home server to get RAID-5 there. Not going to suffer data loss ever again (as long as whole building is not destroyed by a nuclear explosion) :crazy:
Why does it occur to me, that a nuclear explosion could be possible soon?... :P

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:04 am

LordMike wrote:Why does it occur to me, that a nuclear explosion could be possible soon?... :P
Well, what if USA would decide to nuke all countries it owes money (which is every country except some African ones)? :-) Gonna be cost-effective :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:40 pm

BarsMonster wrote:
LordMike wrote:Why does it occur to me, that a nuclear explosion could be possible soon?... :P
Well, what if USA would decide to nuke all countries it owes money (which is every country except some African ones)? :-) Gonna be cost-effective :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Would ofc. help them reduce their nuclear stocks :P

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:57 am

Actually, Intel posted(and deleted by now) it's new firmware for X-25M, which caused data corruption.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:19 am

Rolf wrote:Actually, Intel posted(and deleted by now) it's new firmware for X-25M, which caused data corruption.
I'm on OCZ Vertex, and I was on stable firmware without known corruption bugs.
That is funny, OCZ had stable and unstable firmware too. They released 1.42 firmware and told it is going to be final soon.
I flashed that firmware to a SSD that I installed in the server, and left server in Moscow (this site is working on that server too).
And then... OCZ found critical issues in this firmware and said they are unfixable, after that they were developing new firmware from scratch for a few months.
And now I should worry about my server :crazy: Hopefully reported corruption was after sleep state, which never occurs on server :crazy:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:18 am

schwarzwaldhacker wrote:
Well, She is a repair engineer of industrial computers :crazy:

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 am

BarsMonster wrote:
schwarzwaldhacker wrote:
Well, She is a repair engineer of industrial computers :crazy:
And she didn't know backup could occur automatically? o.0

Stavros

Post by Stavros » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:23 pm

RAID does not protect against accidental/intentional deletion. Make sure you use rdiff-backup or something daily.

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:26 am

Stavros wrote:RAID does not protect against accidental/intentional deletion. Make sure you use rdiff-backup or something daily.
Wouldn't affect certain people. My IT teacher NEVER deletes anything...
Over the course of one day, he usually accumulates 20 Firefox windows with 10 tabs each.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Back in the 1998, I had backup/restore scripts, so I was doing backup everyday.
One day I accidentally hit "Restore" instead of Backup :-)
My daily work was screwed in like 0.5 seconds :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:57 am

BarsMonster wrote:Back in the 1998, I had backup/restore scripts, so I was doing backup everyday.
One day I accidentally hit "Restore" instead of Backup :-)
My daily work was screwed in like 0.5 seconds :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
lol!... :D

totedati

Post by totedati » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:12 am

well for trouble free backups always i recommend this little gem:

Code: Select all

equo search app-backup/rdiff-backup
>>  @@ Searching...
>>   #1 Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>      @@ Package: app-backup/rdiff-backup-1.2.8 branch: 5, [repo_sabayonlinux.org]
>>        Available:            version: 1.2.8 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>        Installed:            version: Not installed ~ tag: N/A ~ revision: N/A
>>        Slot:                 0
>>        Homepage:             http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
>>        Description:          Remote incremental file backup
>>                              utility; uses librsync's rdiff
>>                              utility to create concise, versioned
>>                              backups.
>>        License:              GPL-2
>>  Keyword:    app-backup/rdiff-backup
>>  Found:      1 entries
>>   #2 v00d00's Mplayer Builds
crossplatform, GPL'ed, source code provided, phyton i think, easy to use, for a commandline linux lover like me ... unlimited undo, full history, after initial backup very little sized differential backups, ideal for text and even mp3, i mean < 10 MiB files sizes ... for you type of backup, mainly source code svn backups is ideal ....

and, ofcourse because is python means is working on linux and windows without any extra fuss ...

all you need is a capable usb hdd, something like 250 MiB or even 500 MiB even for us, living in east european country, this things is cheap enough ... use only for backups and you will never loss again you precious work ... ssd hdd!? hummm ... so small, in terms of capacity not physical dimensions ... and pricey ... i don't think ssd hdd's is a good choice for backus until price/GiB ratio is a little more sane ....

and also read speeds vs. write speeds is too unbalanced ... and for backups what matter is writing speeds not reading speeds .... reliable writings! :joy:
=============================================
linux is free, but needed expertise to harness it is not
you don't make too much money selling open source software!
you make money USING it, just like google!
registered linux user #352479