GPU temperature

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
DarkPrince
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

GPU temperature

Post by DarkPrince » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:39 pm

I was running BarsWF for a few mins when suddenly SWUUUUCH the fan starts going harderd then I have ever heard before and the room fills up with dust. I turned of bars and the fans thent back to normal sound lol.

I download speedfan and it shows flames next to eveything exept "temp 2" thats like -128c...
I turn to google to check that temp GPUs usually have and they all say that they are below 55 (mine was 70-73 celcus)

I turn of the computer and starts to clean out all the dust.

When i turn it back on about 15 min later speedfan still put flames next to the gpu but the other things are green. GPU is like 63 c and the next few min it goes up to 65 and im only running explorer, speedfan and msn.

Oncec again i turn the computer but now for 30 min and put a tablefan against the open box and let it blow untill i turn it back on.

When i turn it on again it says that my GPU is like 53 celcius and not 10 min later with only firefox, explorer, speedfan and msn on its up to 65c again...

When should i start worry about the heat?

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: GPU temperature

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:04 am

What's you video card? Yeah, you should be worried.
Many stock "crap" video coolers fails on 100% load (BarsWF or Furmark with renamed executable).

You may start with replacing thermal grace under cooler and if it does not help - replace cooler with decent one.

D3ad0ne

Post by D3ad0ne » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:15 am

you may start with replacing thermal grace under cooler
Good suggestion, I have replaced all the thermal compound on my GPUs and CPUs. I used to get above 95ºc with stock compound and now it is well below 90ºc at full load. I recommend diamond compound because it has a much higher thermal conductivity than silver http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamo ... 16605.html but even a simple silver compound is usually much better than the factory compound. Also remember never spray compressed, or can air into a fan when cleaning it to cause it to spin up, it will ruin the bearings very quickly. Having it run at 65º is not to bad, but you should be worried when it reaches the 90ºc+ at full load.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:39 am

Replacing the video card's cooling is a good idea.
Not only will it keep the GPU cooler, it will also prolong it's life/allow more overclocking.

When I had 8800 GTS, I replaced the ol' turbine with Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme.
It was amazing...so cool, so quiet :D
Right now, I even removed GTX 285 double fans and replaced it with the thingie above.

You can "cool" things by also including different load levels to BIOS.
Under 2D load the frequencies drop, which allows the video card to rest a bit.
But if you didnt have this at start, and want to try, be careful with editing BIOS and flashing.

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:53 am

BarsMonster wrote:What's you video card?
nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

This is with the chassis lid on:

Burn baby burn

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:49 pm

DarkPrince wrote:
BarsMonster wrote:What's you video card?
nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

This is with the chassis lid on:

Burn baby burn
This temp might be at card's power supply chips(not necessary main giant chip), these are easily go over 100C without proper cooling...

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:25 pm

BarsMonster wrote:
This temp might be at card's power supply chips(not necessary main giant chip), these are easily go over 100C without proper cooling...

Lol well i have no idea.

Im playing Warcraft 3 now and GPU is only up 2 C, gonna check what happens later when i run bars

Edit:

Ran bars for a few min

After turning it off it took like 30 sec to get it down to 73c and then the fans slowed down to normal. Guess it could have been worse lol

Crucifix

Post by Crucifix » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:50 am

couple things:

-SpeedFan is notoriously inaccurate for reporting temps.

-What you have there are fairly average temps for a graphics card with stock cooler. 90+ is a danger zone but anything below that is a perfectly acceptable running temp.