Cuda/CAL VS OpenCl.

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
vampyr
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cuda/CAL VS OpenCl.

Post by vampyr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:54 pm

Has anyone benchmarked Cuda and Cal vs opencl yet, for the purpose of hash cracking? I've heard some pretty bad
stuff about it's memory bandwidth on ATI. I'm curious, to see if i should port anything to openCL, or just stick with brook and cuda.

Rolf
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Cuda/CAL VS OpenCl.

Post by Rolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:02 pm

BarsMonster wrote:Here are the numbers:
CUDA: 26.73 MHash/sec
OpenCL: 25.38 MHash/sec (most of stuff is hardcoded, so actually it should be a bit slower).

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:59 am

vampyr wrote:Has anyone benchmarked Cuda and Cal vs opencl yet, for the purpose of hash cracking? I've heard some pretty bad
stuff about it's memory bandwidth on ATI. I'm curious, to see if i should port anything to openCL, or just stick with brook and cuda.
Haven't you heard brook is DEAD? :-) :crazy:

vampyr

Post by vampyr » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:39 am

Yes, i did. But last time i checked, with some hacking of the brook compiler, some decent CAL code can be generated by it. There's limitations of course, constants should be stored in registers and passed around, the compiler needs some hacking, and you need to use int4, because shit does not get concatenated to a int4. But hey, as long as it works. Because somehow i think that developing directly in CAL is more of a royal pain in the arse.
And OpenCL is slow compared to brook, so..

Igor

Post by Igor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Some posts by the pyrit dev seem to indicate that with ATI cards, pyrit runs faster on OpenCL. However, there is not many benchmarks at the moment. I did some tests with pyrit, nvidia-cards and OpenCL, but there seems to be a problem somewhere. Maybe in the setup, maybe somewhere else, but performance is extremly slow. It doesn't seem that anyone else really tried to use pyrit-OpenCL with nvidia-cards. CPU-performance is the same, though.