ATI or Nvidia???

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
P3ndldqny2
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:29 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

ATI or Nvidia???

Post by P3ndldqny2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:31 am

Im wanting to research high performance computing (im a developer) and im unsure which gives better performance, ATI or Nvidia?

Please advise

User avatar
LordMike
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:34 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ATI or Nvidia???

Post by LordMike » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:21 pm

I believe ATI gives the better performance measured in FLOPS, but I'm sure nVidia have the better development utilities.
CUDA is simply better documented than Brook (which isn't supported anymore).

However, depending on how the work with ATI's new project goes, ATI might even be better in development manners too.

Bitweasil
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:50 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ATI or Nvidia???

Post by Bitweasil » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:40 am

OpenCL changes the dev environment a bit. However, atom of oclhashcat claims the nVidia OpenCL runtime is massively buggy.

What type of work are you doing? For crypto, ATI is often faster because it has a hardware barrel rotator. For other stuff, it just depends.

P3ndldqny2
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:29 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ATI or Nvidia???

Post by P3ndldqny2 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Bitweasil wrote:OpenCL changes the dev environment a bit. However, atom of oclhashcat claims the nVidia OpenCL runtime is massively buggy.

What type of work are you doing? For crypto, ATI is often faster because it has a hardware barrel rotator. For other stuff, it just depends.
Well im about to start an MSc in Software Security so for the next couple of years its just a hobby, but im hoping to do my final project on some sort of GPU computational cracking (AES preferably ) and then possibly in more detail for a PhD.

User avatar
LordMike
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:34 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ATI or Nvidia???

Post by LordMike » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:43 am

P3ndldqny2 wrote:
Bitweasil wrote:OpenCL changes the dev environment a bit. However, atom of oclhashcat claims the nVidia OpenCL runtime is massively buggy.

What type of work are you doing? For crypto, ATI is often faster because it has a hardware barrel rotator. For other stuff, it just depends.
Well im about to start an MSc in Software Security so for the next couple of years its just a hobby, but im hoping to do my final project on some sort of GPU computational cracking (AES preferably ) and then possibly in more detail for a PhD.
Based on that and the previous - I'd go ATI for speed. :P

P3ndldqny2
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:29 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: ATI or Nvidia???

Post by P3ndldqny2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:03 pm

LordMike wrote:
P3ndldqny2 wrote:
Bitweasil wrote:OpenCL changes the dev environment a bit. However, atom of oclhashcat claims the nVidia OpenCL runtime is massively buggy.

What type of work are you doing? For crypto, ATI is often faster because it has a hardware barrel rotator. For other stuff, it just depends.
Well im about to start an MSc in Software Security so for the next couple of years its just a hobby, but im hoping to do my final project on some sort of GPU computational cracking (AES preferably ) and then possibly in more detail for a PhD.
Based on that and the previous - I'd go ATI for speed. :P
Thanks :)

Can i just ask, whats the difference between OpenCL and CAL? Is CAL assembler used for ATI? What IDE/tools could you use on windows to write CAL if it is assembler?

Thanks in advance

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 1 guest