BarsWF in a german pc magazine

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
G-GFFD
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

BarsWF in a german pc magazine

Post by G-GFFD » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Hello Guys

I just got the new c't (german pc magazin) and I saw that there is an article about the security of passwords.

High Quality for reading : http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/cvc0lcor/001.jpg

I apologize for my english :sad:

@BarsWF, I hope you get one copy for free^^

G-GFFD

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: BarsWF in a german pc magazine

Post by BarsMonster » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Thanks, looks awesome :-)

Igor

Post by Igor » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:59 pm

The article shows what happens when password hashes, based on current policies, fall into the wrong hands - hands that have access to a GPU.

BarsWF is used to show the readers what the difference in performance between CPU- and GPU-based cracking is - pitting a GTX 280 against a system with four Intel Dunningtons. We also used it to show how two 9800GX2 "outperform" the expensive server, too.

EDPR is then pitted "against" password policies, as they currently exist, on a rather modest system with 2 9800GTX and cheap AMD Dualcore. The conclusion is that it's time for longer passwords.

There's lots and lots of stuff which didn't make it into the article, I'll give you a short writeup later.

Igor

Post by Igor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:32 am

Ok, here we go - something about the hardware:

Nvidia QuadroPlex S4: Using this for password cracking is pretty pointless - we were only able to access two GPUs of the system, after swapping/trying different nvdidia drivers half a day. One GPU of the S4 just made 398 million MD5 per second. As far as we know, one of the connectors was defective from the start, so the whole system should make 1.2 billion hashes/second. Costs around 8000 euros or so.

Intel Dunnington-Quad-Board: Provides 24 cores, BARSWF and EDPR ran "out of the box". Very nice system, especially for all those hash-types where there's no GPU acceleration yet. System ran on Windows 2008. Don't know the manufacturer of this, but servers with this kind of board cost around 12.000-30.000 USD.

WPA/WPA2-PSK cracking we left out of the article - since we would've needed to much space to explain the system, as of course it is rather different from cracking hashes someone has to get a hold of first.