CUDA Speed Problem!

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
darkcove
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

CUDA Speed Problem!

Post by darkcove » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:26 am

Hello brothers,

I need help regarding my speed:

My PC Specs:
- CPU Core2Duo 3Ghz
- RAM 2GB
- VGA, Nvidia Geforce 8500GT 512MB
- Hardisk, 500GB...

Before I used normal nvidia drivers but I just tried to change my drivers to CUDA yesterday... however the speed results is very low not what I expected.. Please check the image for the speed I have and help telling me what is wrong with my PC...

I installed CUDA driver 2.1... only drivers : (181.20_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql) ... do I need to install toolkit and sdk of CUDA as well... ?

Really want to have a bit faster speed...

Warmest Regards,

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: CUDA Speed Problem!

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:36 am

Try gpu_time=1500

kiando

Post by kiando » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:18 am

You could try overclocking your graphiccard. http://www.guru3d.com/Overclocking.htm
Note that you lose your guarantee through overclocking.

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks brothers for helping... but I still want to know if this speed for my PC specs is normal... I mentioned that I installed only drivers with CUDA support for my Nvidia Geforce 8500GT without CUDA toolkit or SDK...

So can the problem be that I didn't install Toolkit or SDK ?

Please help... I saw some very high speed from Geforce 8800 in this forum and they have the speed up to 500Mhash/sec....

Really want the speed like that or at least nearly like that....

Thanks again brothers for your support....

Regards

kiando

Post by kiando » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:21 am

Speed seems quite normal. That's because the 8500GT doesn't have that much processing power.
Compare: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... .29_series

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:28 am

I am very sad brother.. that my own VGA is really this dump... I made a mistake of buying this model... I spent around 600$ for my PC but got this low specs because I am not very good in computer.. and that salesperson gave me this computer... :mad:

Just hope you can help me to get the best speed for this PC
Last edited by darkcove on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:28 am

You cant compare a 8500 with a 8800. The 8800 is much better. If you want better speeds you'll have to buy a better card.

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:31 am

Brother.. If want the best card ... do you think how much I should pay for it... please recommend me the best one...

Thanks

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:50 am

darkcove wrote:Brother.. If want the best card ... do you think how much I should pay for it... please recommend me the best one...
For bruteforcing:

nVidia ones:
9600GSO (96 processors version) <100$
GT260 (216 processors version) ~200$

AMD ones (much less software for AMD cards):
4830 <100$
4850 ~150$

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:43 am

Thanks alot brother.... for your suggestion.. my Motherboard is ASUS P5k SE.... do you think I should change the montherboard too ?

Hope you can reply me this last question...

Regards,

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:26 am

darkcove wrote:Thanks alot brother.... for your suggestion.. my Motherboard is ASUS P5k SE.... do you think I should change the montherboard too ?

Hope you can reply me this last question...

Regards,
No, P5K SE is fine.

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:05 am

Brother... in my area.. I just asked the computer sales support... the latest model of Geforce they have is Geforce 9500GT... and the price is 75$ (512MB) & 110$ (1GB)...

Could you tell me... is it good enough ?

Please offer some idea... and you know what is funny... when I asked them about Geforce 200 series like GTX 285 or GTX 295... they said.. they never heard about it... :lol:

I am using ASUS P5k SE... I don't even know if it's supported with Geforce 9500 GT or other latest series or not....

Please really need help ... I want to upgrade my system on Monday... so need some suggestions from you...

Warmest Regards,

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:43 am

darkcove wrote:Brother... in my area.. I just asked the computer sales support... the latest model of Geforce they have is Geforce 9500GT... and the price is 75$ (512MB) & 110$ (1GB)...

Could you tell me... is it good enough ?

Please offer some idea... and you know what is funny... when I asked them about Geforce 200 series like GTX 285 or GTX 295... they said.. they never heard about it... :lol:

I am using ASUS P5k SE... I don't even know if it's supported with Geforce 9500 GT or other latest series or not....

Please really need help ... I want to upgrade my system on Monday... so need some suggestions from you...

Warmest Regards,
Dude, where do you live?
75$ for 9500GT is a robbery.
If your shop have just 9500GT you have to look for bigger & cheaper shop :-)

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:13 am

My country is Cambodia... it's too bad brother... don't have any modern items to buy... I consider buying from ebay... the latest models... but my problem is that I don't know if my motherboard support the model or not...

Brother... I know it's annoying to ask these many questions and I am sorry for it.... I truly don't know how to check it up...

Please show me some latest models which my motherboard supports...

Thanks brother.....

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:50 am

This motherboard supports any of these cards. Personally I have almost the same motherboard, and it works fine.
You should only be worried about power supply unit, it should have some PCI-E power connectors (3x2 - 6 wires each connector), but there are adaptors available from legacy HDD power connectors to PCI-E power connectors.

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:13 am

Ok brother .. now I understand that my motherboard can support these latest cards... I want to order 1 VGA from Ebay .... 9800 GT 1GB ... and you also mentioned about power supply... did you refer to the additional power supply that I need to purchase if I want to upgrade to this new VGA... since I am a bit confuse because there is power supply internally of my PC already...

Sorry if my talking sounds stupid.. since I am a noob in computer area....

Thanks brother for all your help.... really appreciate it....

I want to have a fast md5 cracking computer :D

Regards,

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:58 pm

darkcove wrote:Ok brother .. now I understand that my motherboard can support these latest cards... I want to order 1 VGA from Ebay .... 9800 GT 1GB ... and you also mentioned about power supply... did you refer to the additional power supply that I need to purchase if I want to upgrade to this new VGA... since I am a bit confuse because there is power supply internally of my PC already...

Sorry if my talking sounds stupid.. since I am a noob in computer area....

Thanks brother for all your help.... really appreciate it....

I want to have a fast md5 cracking computer :D
You need to have just 1 PSU.
Your current PSU would be fine if it have 1 or 2 of these connectors (9800GT will need 2):

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 pm

My God Brother, Thanks so much for doing this to me... took your time to explain and even got a picture for me too...

I understand now... and I start hunting for the VGA...

Really appreciate your support....

Warmest Regards,

Darkcove

P.S: Wish you all the best .....

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:21 am

And forget about 1Gb of RAM on videocard. It does not help at all (well, as long as we are talking about middle-range cards).
Personally I have 512Mb of RAM on card, and it is 100% fine, not worth to spend extra money.

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:20 am

Thanks brother for additional ideas... I just called up to talk to nearly all the shops in my city.... you know what ... the best and latest model they have is ASUS 9600 GT 1 GB and the price is 220$... I can not believe this...

Brother... in your earlier post you mentioned about 1 GB RAM on the card... and I understand about it... but does it make much different if we talk about 512 MB & 1 GB card.... I am not talking about RAM on card...

I checked up on Ebay or Amazon... the price mentioned by the sales person in my country is outrageous and unacceptable... and they don't even discount a cent with that price...

I would like you to know that... I have never bought anything from ebay or amazon... that's why I want to check out the stores in my country first...

Give give some idea on the price I mentioned above... and give me a hint about the series of this card... I don't understand when I saw the model like "ASUS 9600 GT, or XFX model, EVGA or MSI"... are they very different... which one is good .. and which one is the best between 9600 GT & 9600 GSO?

Just reply when you have free time brother... I don't want to bother you this much...

Warm Regards,

Darkcove...

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:13 am

darkcove wrote:Thanks brother for additional ideas... I just called up to talk to nearly all the shops in my city.... you know what ... the best and latest model they have is ASUS 9600 GT 1 GB and the price is 220$... I can not believe this...

Brother... in your earlier post you mentioned about 1 GB RAM on the card... and I understand about it... but does it make much different if we talk about 512 MB & 1 GB card.... I am not talking about RAM on card...

I checked up on Ebay or Amazon... the price mentioned by the sales person in my country is outrageous and unacceptable... and they don't even discount a cent with that price...

I would like you to know that... I have never bought anything from ebay or amazon... that's why I want to check out the stores in my country first...

Give give some idea on the price I mentioned above... and give me a hint about the series of this card... I don't understand when I saw the model like "ASUS 9600 GT, or XFX model, EVGA or MSI"... are they very different... which one is good .. and which one is the best between 9600 GT & 9600 GSO?

Just reply when you have free time brother... I don't want to bother you this much...

Warm Regards,

Darkcove...
With eBay you should be worried about customs & taxes. Also it might be very hard for you to send money.
Customs tax might be up to 100-200$ for a videocard :-)

Good 9600GSO have 96 processors, 9600GT have 64 processors. So GSO is better for bruteforcing.
But greedy marketologists released other 9600GSO cards having less than 96 processors.

No much difference between vendors, XFX, EVGA, MSI - they all are almost the same. They have different cooling and other minor differences.

darkcove

Post by darkcove » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 am

:joy: Thanks Brother... You know in my country... everything is limited... not much to choose from. So it's not easy to get the specific one that I want... and you are right... the price here already covered up the taxes and customs already that's why it's pretty high... even if I load fund in paypal and buy from Ebay or buy from Amazon... it will be not much different after the sum up of various expenses...

Wish you all the best brother... deep gratitude for your patience and helpfulness... you are the best...

I will see you later... have a nice day...

Regards,

Darkcove !