32 GPU cores. Will it blend? :)

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
x4d3
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

32 GPU cores. Will it blend? :)

Post by x4d3 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:12 am

Hello Mr. Michail.

Quick question. If I manage to have 32 cores of GPU in a single machine, would your code recognize all 32 and use them? Or does it have a maximun of 8 cores? Maybe the interface wont show all 32, since it only have space to 8 cores.

In before someone say it is impossible to have that many cores in a single machine:

http://www.magma.com/products/pciexpres ... -35-A).pdf

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 32 GPU cores. Will it blend? :)

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:16 am

Internal limit is 128 cores for now(both CPU and GPU). If you would be able to get more, I'll compile special version just for you :-)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:20 am

Very interesting device. I guess it might suffer from limited bandwidth, but BarsWF uses just ~25Mb/sec for 1 billion keys/second, so it should not reduce performance more then for a fraction of 1%.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:23 am

"DC Output: 400Watts Max"

Looks like they are using non-standart PSU, might be a problem as 7x9800GX2 would eat at least ~2000W :crazy:

PS. $729... Hmm....

x4d3

Post by x4d3 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:27 am

Yep. that would require aditional PSU's.

I will have to do the math to see if it worth stack GPU's on a single machine or have a bunch of machines networked using a cluster-ready version of the bruteforcer.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:28 am

x4d3 wrote:Yep. that would require aditional PSU's.

I will have to do the math to see if it worth stack GPU's on a single machine or have a bunch of machines networked using a cluster-ready version of the bruteforcer.
Answer is simple :-) It's not.
Case+MB+lowend quad core CPU would cost less than 729$ and will give extra performance.

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 am

case + mb + quadcore + 2gb ram thats about 350€ per machine...
if you got good cooling id recommend you buying some overclocking board and a phenom black edition ;)

hardfalcon

Post by hardfalcon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:59 pm

After you have vaporized all the hashes you want, try if that monster can give you the question to the answer "42"... :)

This is lookin awesome, but I guess the problem would be the NVIDIA driver, or not? IIRC, they only support 4 graphic cards (with 2 GPUs each) at maximum (please correct me if I'm wrong)...

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:02 am

Haven't heard about GPU number limit. Right now it is "limited" to 8 just because there is no widespread MBs with more than 4x16 PCI-E slots

hardfalcon

Post by hardfalcon » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:25 pm

I just tried to imagine what would happen if you put 4 of these boxes onto one of these quad-sli-mainboards (using a $20 PCI graphics card to be able to connect your monitor to your computer). That would be 24 GTX280, or even worse, 24 Radeon 4870 X2s... Hooooooly shit.... :shock: