Status of the ATI GPU Version ?

Moderator: BarsMonster

the_drag0n
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Status of the ATI GPU Version ?

Post by the_drag0n » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:39 pm

what about cable internet ? over the tv cable (dunno if that exists in other countrys ;)).
its cheap and fast. ( 32000 kbit/s for 55€ )

€ Dark : folding@home is supporting GPUs plus its a science project which i would support while i wouldnt support seti@home ;)

DarkPrince
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by DarkPrince » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:45 pm

the_drag0n wrote:what about cable internet ? over the tv cable (dunno if that exists in other countrys ;)).
its cheap and fast. ( 32000 kbit/s for 55€ )

€ Dark : folding@home is supporting GPUs plus its a science project which i would support while i wouldnt support seti@home ;)

I would rather support my elecric bill right now :P

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:45 pm

well if your running 24/7 than that sure is a problem ;)

hardfalcon

Post by hardfalcon » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:46 pm

Forgot to mention: Be careful about those "flatrates", all resellers are useing quota systems. If you use more traffic than allowed (they don't give any informations about how much traffic they allow), they slow down your connection (but they don't seem to completely block you, though).

DarkPrince: Thx for the advice, gonna correct that immediately. :lol:

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:23 am

2048 Kb / s / 128 Kb / s
Hmm... Do they TRANSMIT data to sattelite? Looks like that's the reason their hardware cost 400 Euro instead of 100$ for receive-only set.
I would be executed(joking, but at lest it will not work for too long :crazy:) here in Belarus if someone would know I have transmiting sattelite antenna :-)

Some people use one way satellite channels here (with ADSL to transfer data TO internet), and this actually works, but pings are so high (as radio signal should pass 72'000 km at least which mean minimum network latency is 240ms in comparison to my 12ms latency to Moscow servers)...

Anyway, 256kbit should be almost acceptable :-)
I hope next year they will make 512kbit acceptable, and then prices would fall as most users will not use that much of the bandwidth.

Moving to other country is not an option till 2010 cause I'm on military service till 2010, and trying to leave country permanently would be very painful :-)
I was thinking about moving to US, as I know lot of people there, but afraid US will never be like in old good 1995 due to financial crisis 1998 & 2008...
Also, I was considering moving to Germany, but now I am not considering living here(because of freedom wounding, and rather expensive life - but I might be wrong) - just want to visit for couple of days/weeks during my future Europe tour :-)

hardfalcon

Post by hardfalcon » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes, with the Astra2Connect system you also transmit data to the satellite.

About moving: AFAIK since 9/11 it's already a REAL pain in the ass just for normal tourists to travel into that country, not speaking of people who want to permanently live there (just read a little about the border between the USA and Mexico and you get an idea about their attitude to immigration).

If you're doing a tour through Europe I'd be honoured if you alsa visited Luxembourg. :)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:31 pm

Just finished with Intel C++ compiler v11 - it produces 1.5% faster SSE2 binaries than 10th version :joy: :crazy:
Another crazy thing is that both Intel C++ 11 and CUDA SDK have major problems working with Visual Studio 2008... Have to continue using 2005 :mad:

neinbrucke

Post by neinbrucke » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:53 pm

the cuda sdk states it only works with 2005 and the version before... had to download 2005 for that reason :/ (not that i did any cuda yet :P)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:20 pm

:mad: Brook+ compiler is C and does not have preprocessor :mad: :wall: :mad:

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:51 pm

BarsMonster wrote::mad: Brook+ compiler is C and does not have preprocessor :mad: :wall: :mad:
annd that means ? ;) dont forget you always have some dumb people reading your posts and not understanding them ;)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:53 pm

the_drag0n wrote:
BarsMonster wrote:annd that means ? ;)
And that means that I have to rewrite significant part of BarsWF code and do some extra work to launch preprocessor before compilation :sad: That appeared not that easy as it looked at first :-)

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 am

Damn, it's a Sunday and I had to work till 8am :sad:
Let's see if I have some mental power for BarsWF :crazy:

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:40 am

BarsMonster wrote:Damn, it's a Sunday and I had to work till 8am :sad:
Let's see if I have some mental power for BarsWF :crazy:

Yes you have :)

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 am

On release will it have support for md5(md5($salt).md5($pass)) ?
If so, i'll be very glad to be a tester :)

HIS 4850 512mb OC'd to 700/1109 (maybe higher now that I turned on my case fans :) )

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:36 am

Irythros wrote:On release will it have support for md5(md5($salt).md5($pass)) ?
If so, i'll be very glad to be a tester :)

HIS 4850 512mb OC'd to 700/1109 (maybe higher now that I turned on my case fans :) )
Sorry to disappoint you, but support of that hash will come later.
About the card - put 1.4v on it via soft voltmod, and you might see 850Mhz :-)

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:29 am

I just got the card so im not so ready to potentially fry it. I'd like to finish farcry 2 atleast :lol:

As for the algorithm, about how long after the release of the initial program would it be finished and have you made any progress on just the program alone? I'd be willing to beta test for problems :D

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:41 am

Irythros wrote:have you made any progress on just the program alone?
Yes, I did, but I still fighting with this funny AMD compiller :-)
Just spent 30 minutes to find that if you pass an array as parameter to a function everything is OK as long as you are NOT NAMING IT 'target' :wall: :mad: :wall:
Otherwise compiller crashes :crazy:

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:55 am

i see.. coding with those ati cards seems to be fun :P

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:20 am

Yeah, it appeared compiller does not support inversion operator...
So instead of ~x I have to write 0xffffff^x
If it is stupid enough not to optimize that it will lead to ~10-20% performance loss :sad: :wall:
Somebody kill me :crazy:

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 am

BarsMonster wrote:Yeah, it appeared compiller does not support inversion operator...
So instead of ~x I have to write 0xffffff^x
If it is stupid enough not to optimize that it will lead to ~10-20% performance loss :sad: :wall:
Somebody kill me :crazy:
after your done with the program, if you pay for it :) maybe

Bitweasil

Post by Bitweasil » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:54 am

Sounds like pretty standard ATI. "Our hardware is 20% faster, if you can stand the software we wrap around it."

B0ff

Post by B0ff » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Any chance of an updated nVidia version while we're waiting...?
Pretty please? :?:

hardfalcon

Post by hardfalcon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:01 pm

B0ff wrote:Any chance of an updated nVidia version while we're waiting...?
IMHO that would just unnecessarily slow down the release of the 1.0 version. Just think about all the feedback that a 0.9 release would generate, taking more of Bars' precious development time.

Bitweasil

Post by Bitweasil » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:57 pm

B0ff wrote:Any chance of an updated nVidia version while we're waiting...?
Learn CUDA and help with development? Eh?

alphaitaliancasanova

Re: Status of the ATI GPU- ATI GPU compiler

Post by alphaitaliancasanova » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:08 pm

BarsMonster wrote:
Irythros wrote:have you made any progress on just the program alone?
Yes, I did, but I still fighting with this funny AMD compiller :-)
Just spent 30 minutes to find that if you pass an array as parameter to a function everything is OK as long as you are NOT NAMING IT 'target' :wall: :mad: :wall:
Otherwise compiller crashes :crazy:
Hi Michael try this GPU C compiler ; i thing will speed up your ATI software development. This compiler supports most of IL instruction wich are not supported by brook+ ( Brook+ is interesting,but it did not expose all of IL functionality, and its
output is somewhat complex) try it for speed up md5 ATI software development ;)

this is the webpage where you can download it http://www.gpuware.com/