Status of the ATI GPU Version ?

Moderator: BarsMonster

zulu-man
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Status of the ATI GPU Version ?

Post by zulu-man » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:48 am

HD3850 (720/890), Windows 7 and catalyst 8.12 Hotfix for Vista (so with CAL.DLLs):

Why is the GPU usage so low (relative)? My CPU is an X2 4200+ (2x2,2 GHz).

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:23 am

zulu-man wrote:Why is the GPU usage so low (relative)? My CPU is an X2 4200+ (2x2,2 GHz).
Because of tiny charset. When there are less than 10 characters, it works less effective.

remo

Post by remo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Igor wrote:
asl wrote:Use the 8.12. The 9.1 doesn't work for me too.
It works with the 8.12 catalyst drivers. However, using set BRT_ADAPTER=1 nets this:

Using set BRT_ADAPTER=0 or not setting it all will let it run nice and smoothly at around 890 MHash/second. I can't test more, since the card went away.
how to set adapter1?

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:01 pm

remo wrote:
Igor wrote:
asl wrote:Use the 8.12. The 9.1 doesn't work for me too.
It works with the 8.12 catalyst drivers. However, using set BRT_ADAPTER=1 nets this:

Using set BRT_ADAPTER=0 or not setting it all will let it run nice and smoothly at around 890 MHash/second. I can't test more, since the card went away.
how to set adapter1?
Make a Batch script... (.bat)

Code: Select all

SET BRT_ADAPTER=1
BarsWF_CUDA_x32.exe -h ....

d0PING

Post by d0PING » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi,
>>>Hmmm.... That's strange, I have Catalyst 8.12, probably something've changed in 9.1
In 9.1-9.2 additional .dll files (amdcalcl.dll,amdcalrt.dll---for 32-bit version;for64---amdcalcl64.dlland etc.) had to be in driver package, so no need to put them into AMD\AMD CAL 1.X.X\lib\xp32,1.X.X- for 1.3.0 or higher;)))where it(amdcalcl.dll,amdcalrt.dll) resided before 1.3.0.beta.
Solution:get... these dlls ---(amdcalcl.dll,amdcalrt.dll) and put them into folder with bars program and brook.dll).
Why:program bars for AMD imports dll functions from brook.dll (which is just wraper to amdcalcl.dll(calclCompile, etc.)-for compiling kernels into IL,amdcalrt.dll-runtime stuff(calCtxRunProgram()-for example);
NOw in AMD\AMD CAL 1.3.0_beta\lib\xp32 ===$(CALROOT)\lib you will find only amdcalcl.lib,amdcalrt.lib for linking stepp --no .dlls.
Now EXPERIMENT:try this old .dlls on new driver set (no fact what it'll work but just a thought).
P.S.these dll user last-stage wraper to user-mode dlls(kernel32.dll,user32.dll,etc)->..->the last one is DrIver:))))))
How:unrar dlls1from archive and put them into folder with bars and brook.dll or into $(CALROOT)\lib of your environment.
Best regards,d0PING
Attachments
AMD-libraries.rar
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 599 times
experiment kills the theory

tripper

Post by tripper » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:56 am

Hi
Please, can you provide some older beta version which can continue from barswf.save, no matter for speed penalty
becose some of us can't run machine 24/7 (BSOD, electricity or whatever can happen)
thank you

by the way, there is some renaming of these dll's in 9.2
amdcalcl.dll -> aticalcl.dll
amdcalrt.dll -> aticalrt.dll
amdcaldd.dll -> aticaldd.dll

so you just need copy first two in barswf dir and rename from "amd" to "ati"
or edit (if BarsMonster will have nothing against this) brook.dll (0.9beta x86) with hex editor, there is one instance with amdcalcl.dll (00044218) and one amdcalrt.dll (000443F2), just need rename this and save and then will no more problem with 9.2
you can also put all three dll's with exe with MoleBox Pro runtime packer, so you get on the end just one exe file with binded dll's

tested and working on XP Pro SP3 (x86)

HD 4670 @750MHz GPU (Default) / Catalyst 9.2

HD 4670 @850MHz GPU / Catalyst 9.2

d0PING

Post by d0PING » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:06 pm

>>>by the way, there is some renaming of these dll's in 9.2
>>>amdcalcl.dll -> aticalcl.dll
>>>amdcalrt.dll -> aticalrt.dll
>>>amdcaldd.dll -> aticaldd.dll
Open PE file specification and read it carefully.
That is not solution, it means unstability :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: (if you're lucky :) )
What the .....?????!!!!!>>>amdcaldd.dll -> aticaldd.dll :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
please give link for these new dlls
>>>amdcalcl.dll -> aticalcl.dll
>>>amdcalrt.dll -> aticalrt.dll
>>>amdcaldd.dll -> aticaldd.dll
cause for me to get them, i'll need to install driver set (what due to my s3 savage i cann't) or crack some .msi or .cab file from drivers set (don't have much time).
I had posted archive with dlls stable working with brook.dll in bars archive and old driver, no guarantees for 9.1-9.2-experiment.
The most interesting if it was fully compatible with new driver, what ati-guys had done ---just rename that dlls and put them into driverset---stupid :mad:

d0PING

Post by d0PING » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:08 pm

>>>Please, can you provide some older beta version which can continue from barswf.save, no matter for speed penalty
>>>becose some of us can't run machine 24/7 (BSOD, electricity or whatever can happen)
More specific please!

d0PING

Post by d0PING » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:54 pm

>>>so you just need copy first two in barswf dir and rename from "amd" to "ati"
>>>or edit (if BarsMonster will have nothing against this) brook.dll (0.9beta x86) with hex editor, there is one instance with amdcalcl.dll (00044218) and one
I think he wouldn't, as i'd already posted what brook.dll is just a wrapper to amd****.dlls and it's from (could be found in someone installs amd brook+) in C\AMD\AMD Brook+ 1.3.0_beta\sdk\lib or some like that :crazy: anyway it's (brook.dll) just for support of c++ realization -> for OOP goodies converting kernel into IL, after that compiling IL with calclCompile().

Instances:firstly compare two files with any plugins for PEId for example, then if it would a lot them functions compare anyway it tooks a lot of time.
SOMEONE please!!!!Give some link to thes new dlls ,
Best regards,

tripper

Post by tripper » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:10 am

CAL's from catalyst 9.2
http://rapidshare.com/files/203445361/CAL.rar

like you said, this brook.dll is from SDK 1.3, not 1.4 (which will come in week or two) where will be correct this name issue becose rebranding
there is no more AMD Stream, now it's ATI Stream

zulu-man

Post by zulu-man » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:27 pm

Ok, why is my HD3850 (720 MHz) with ~ 290 Mio hashes/sec so slow? :mrgreen:
An 8800GT reaches 440 Mio hashes/sec (here are some results: http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin ... p?t=449128, -h 0f4137ed1502b5045d6083aa258b5c42 -c a -min_len 7; it must be so easy)
What is your VLIW utilization?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:55 am

3850 is that slow because it have just 320 processors. (and processors itself are more restrictive than on 4xxx)
BarsWF uses EVERYTHING you have on the card :-)

zulu-man

Post by zulu-man » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:18 pm

BarsMonster wrote:3850 is that slow because it have just 320 processors. (and processors itself are more restrictive than on 4xxx)
You didn't answer my question. :mad: :mrgreen:

Seriously:
My HD3850 reaches a third of the HD4850's performance and it makes me think, this is the reason:
the ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series architecture has 5x the integer bitshift performance of HD 2000 and HD 3000 products, so the performance enhancements under those architectures would be reduced
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/stream/index.php?p=3

So HD2000/3000 series have a weak point: integer performance.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

zulu-man wrote:
BarsMonster wrote:3850 is that slow because it have just 320 processors. (and processors itself are more restrictive than on 4xxx)
Well, I did answered :-)
"More restrictive" means exactly what you've citated. 3xxx can do bitshit only in 1 processor module out of 5.

zulu-man

Post by zulu-man » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:57 pm

BarsMonster wrote:
zulu-man wrote:
Well, I did answered :-)
"More restrictive" means exactly what you've citated. 3xxx can do bitshit only in 1 processor module out of 5.
That's hard.

zulu-man

Post by zulu-man » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:52 pm

I'm not finished to nerve you. :mrgreen:

http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin ... stcount=27
The guy reaches with his HD4670 178 Mio h/s only, it's a little bit too low compared to my HD3850.

Paradoxon101

Post by Paradoxon101 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:10 am

Hello,

my System:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3870

Why is the CPU slower with Brook?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Because Brook is very CPU-hungry.

LordMike

Post by LordMike » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:15 pm

BarsMonster wrote:Because Brook is very CPU-hungry.
nVidia.. Anyone? :)

d0PING

Post by d0PING » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:47 am

>>>Because Brook is very CPU-hungry.
yep, OOP -too expensive :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
moreover:brook after some simple prog. on brook, i had found what we won't be a friends :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ,
after that only cal;
>>>nvidia:to high-0rientated:i cann't easy code it on fasm, cause it needs theirs nvcc compiler after that link that .obj with my stuff :mad:
speed: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: cudart.dll & cutill.dll-runtime libraries -wrappers round nvcuda.dll driver-api,to make more faster code nvidia or ati driver, moreover r600 isa are ready :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

shifter1

Post by shifter1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Bars: Is there a way you can recompile the md5 cracker for the latest ATI drivers? If not, could you put up a tutorial on how to make it work? I feel like my 4870 is going to waste :(

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:29 am

shifter1 wrote:Bars: Is there a way you can recompile the md5 cracker for the latest ATI drivers? If not, could you put up a tutorial on how to make it work? I feel like my 4870 is going to waste :(
Yes, I need to recompile with 1.4 SDK which was released few days ago.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 am

And potential good new for multi-GPU users :-)

That's new feature of 1.4 SDK :-)
* Support for multiple GPUs in a single program.
* Support for the ATI Radeon HD 4870X2 and 3870X2.

asl

Post by asl » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Any news about BarsWF? Could you give us an approximate release date?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:49 pm

Finally I've returned to BarsWF for AMD, but it appeared that with latest Brook SDK performance dropped by a factor of 2 :str:
This is fu$#ing unbelievable. So, the only hope is OpenCL for AMD. Damn.
(c) Whyyyyyyyyy....