Recommend a case for 4x gpu's?

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
xprog
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Recommend a case for 4x gpu's?

Post by xprog » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 am

The problem I'm having is the motherboard I am using the last pci-e slot is at the very bottom, so double wide video cards go one slot lower then the bottom of the motherboard. I bought an antec300 case for the cooling. Its one of the cases where the psu is mounted at the bottom but there is no clearance between the motherboard and the psu for a double wide video card. I was wondering if anyone else has a 4x gpu box if they have smiler issues and what case did you end up with?

blazer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Recommend a case for 4x gpu's?

Post by blazer » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:06 am

I'm not a 4x runner yet but umm as a thermaltake user, i'm sure this case should do the trick.

Armor+ LCS - VH600LSWA (10 Card Bays)

Front:Image

Side: Image

Or the Xaser Series.

Chassis - Xaser VI LCS (10 Card Bays)

Front: Image

Side:Image

Hope that helps, i'm sure there are many more cases out there for your requirements.

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112159

Great cooling and itll fit anything you want. If you know how to mod your own case, you can get a different side panel from frozencpu with 2 80 or 92mm fans on it or I think 1 or 2 120mm's.

xprog

Post by xprog » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:53 pm

If anyone cares, this is the case i ended up with that doesnt break the bank. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146047

Still a bottom mount PSU model but there is more clearance between the board and the PSU. Comes with 4x 120mm fans and 2x 140mm fans. Stock fans run quiet, but just dont push enough air for my liking. the 4 9800gx2 run ~80c right now on full load. I have ordered new case fans to replace the stock ones that will push alot more air, and a controller just incase its too much.

Here is the gist of my rig so far,

mobo: MSI K9A2 Platinum
cpu: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz (just duelcore stock clocks. I may need to upgrade, not sure if it can feed the gpu's fast enough)
ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
case: NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel
gpu: 4x 9800gx2 (600mhz stock clocks for now)

I had to use 2 90degree sata cables to fit under the GPU's, placement wasnt the best. But worked fine after i got the cables. 110CFM fans are coming to replace the stock case fans, along with the Sunbeam Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller to lower the speeds if needed. Also the 9800gx2 push air OUT the tops of the cards, so reversing the side fan to be an exhaust helped a few degrees.

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:03 pm

if your planing to upgrade you might want to wait for the new amd phenoms II or a intel i7 ;)
that would be an hell of an pc :P

Spaztikdude

Post by Spaztikdude » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:35 am

Those i7's are a dead-end line. They change to a different socket for the one after it, IIRC.

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:22 am

well your board is at least phenom compitable. if you get a 9950 black edition you can push it to 3,2GHz with good cooling i think.

edit : it's phenom II compitable as well. so if you wait till ~januar you could get the new Phenom II 940 (clocked 3Ghz) and im sure as hell you can overclock that thingy ;)

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:36 am

If your current 5000+ is a Black edition you can get 3.2ghz at 1.4v

xprog

Post by xprog » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:54 pm

well im running windows xp 64bit right now on the gpu box, I currently use Lighting Hash Cracker since that seems to be the fasted multi-gpu list cracker avail. When i use the application my CPU maxes out and if i do anything while on the pc i can see the CUR-SPEED drops for a few seconds while it processes what im doing, im just wondering if im at the wall already and a faster cpu would give faster gpu speeds. I been reading through folding@home forums since theres alot of GPU box information there that works for this as well. Well anyway people were saying that in XP their CPU load is 100% while folding on Vista boxes only uses a small percentage like 20% or lower and that any old P4 can do folding no problem. Im not sure if its something coded in the folding@home application that helps vista specifically or if its the operation system in general that can handle the cpu load and not max it out? or maybe vista is throttling the application back to not take full use of the cpu... not sure. I was gonna install vista64 this week and see if Lighting Hash Cracker preformed differently.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Well, high CPU usage is a problem when number of GPU cores is equal or more than number of CPU cores.
If you write CUDA apps straght-forward(as in examples), they would use all CPU when #GPU=#CPU.
BarsWF is not like that, it would use <10% when SSE2 core disabled.