Video Card upgrade

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
TrashCanMan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Video Card upgrade

Post by TrashCanMan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:08 pm

I'm looking into upgrading my 8600GT to something in the 9 series. I saw this company has a 9800GTX+ for $179.00 after rebate. I like this one, and I may wind up buying two. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

http://www.compusa.com/applications/Sea ... etailspecs

BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Video Card upgrade

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:10 pm

Take a look at 9600GSO with 96SP, should deliver highest performance / $.

Sc00bz

Post by Sc00bz » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:04 am

It looks like cost really isn't that much of an issue so the best performance/watt, performance/slot (without modifications, since you could water cool a GeForce GTX 280 to make it take only one slot), and one of the highest performance/cost is the GeForce 9800 GX2.

Igor

Post by Igor » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:35 am

If you want to use two cards, take care of the kind of 9800GTX+ you're getting. The "open" ones, with two fans attached are a pain to cool, unless your case has big fan on the side. If possible, get those with an enclosure/case. Else those cards will heat up each other a lot - remember, you might run them 24/hours a day. However, a 650Watt PSU (seasonic) seems to be enough.

The 9800GX2 is a nice cracking card, but can run very hot - already burnt my fingers on those darn things. They blow out air at the top, so you'll at least need an outlet on the side of your case.

You can get away with a powerful fan blowing fresh air into your case from the front, if you like your case sounding like a vaccuum cleaner.

If you run into cooling problems, just look for one of those cases who either allow for a 12cm side fan or even one with a 20cm side fan - those are pretty cheap, and might save you a lot of trouble.