Please kill me

Moderator: BarsMonster

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
BarsMonster
Site Admin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Please kill me

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:02 pm

That day comes to everyone from time to time.
The day when you primary HDD failed, and you do not remember when you did your last backup.
I still have 0.2 backup, and there should be at least one of later version.
What makes me even more sad is that it was my lovely WD Raptor 10'000 RPM drive, 250$ :mad: :wall:

The good thing is that I am not drinking vodka, otherwise I would finish a bottle or two :crazy:

tronador
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Please kill me

Post by tronador » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:21 am

"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;) " - Linus Torvalds

I'm sorry :|

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:24 am

I was thinking about using personal internet-based SVN repository just for me just several days ago.
And what makes things even more sad, HDD failed after I tried to connect it to notebook using USB controller with some minor changes (it had a bug - no 12v output, when I fixed it HDD was already dead :sad: )

Spaztikdude

Post by Spaztikdude » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:17 am

Err, does this mean the current code you were working on is.. gone?

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:59 am

Just reinstalled windows on secondary HDD (where all beckups were located).
The good news is that backup is quite recent, so I've lost just 3-5 hours of work :-)

I am not going to buy WD Raptor again, let's wait for cheap SSD :crazy:, and meanwhile I would order 1Tb secondary HDD

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 am

BarsMonster wrote:Just reinstalled windows on secondary HDD (where all beckups were located).
The good news is that backup is quite recent, so I've lost just 3-5 hours of work :-)

I am not going to buy WD Raptor again, let's wait for cheap SSD :crazy:, and meanwhile I would order 1Tb secondary HDD

omg i where close to cut my arms there :O

TrashCanMan

Post by TrashCanMan » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:45 pm

Set up a PayPal tip jar on the home page! You may get some donations...

DarkPrince

Post by DarkPrince » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:26 am

BarsMonster wrote:
TrashCanMan wrote:Set up a PayPal tip jar on the home page! You may get some donations...
Well, getting paypal here in Belarus is a REAL problem.
From the other side, I am earning far more than I am spending (I guess that is quite rare for common "continious consumption" state of mind), so I'm not going to spend any time on setting up that thing :-)
So how much left to program?

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Please, do not buy solid state disks. They are HORRIBLE for speeds and most malfunction within 2 months (if your lucky). Just get another WD, they have the longest lifespan of any HD manufacturer. Going on 8 years with one of my drives :D

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:32 pm

Irythros wrote:Please, do not buy solid state disks. They are HORRIBLE for speeds and most malfunction within 2 months (if your lucky).
Well, bad SSD are horrible.
But there are SLC SSD, and Intel's MLC ones which are very very good :-) The only problem is the price. In 0.5-1 year good SSDs like these ones should be much more affordable, as HORRIBLE SSDs would be pushed out of market :-)
On good SSD malfunction might be predicted & controlled via SMART (it tracks consumption of write cycles), e.t.c

About the program: I am getting a vacation soon, not sure what would be the length, but this would defenetly allow me to puch alot of effort here :-)

Irythros

Post by Irythros » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:52 pm

affordable? <.<

One with relatively good reviews is something like 16 gigs for ~$800.
Price may have dropped, seen it awhile back.

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:59 pm

*boooooooom* *imagine atomic bomb explosion!* *cries for dead Bars* well ok now that was that. hardware breakdown allways sucks but i mean who does backups regularly ?! anyways as it hasn't been to much loss ill hope you'll be able to finish your work soon.

the_drag0n

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:31 am

My grandmom just took that Raptor to Moscow where I've bought it, and the shop replaced it with a shiny new one in the same day :-)
Nice :-)

kiando

Post by kiando » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 am

Lucky you! raptors are really great but their capacity is so small...