And I was like OMFGWHAT?!

Moderator: BarsMonster

nop
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

And I was like OMFGWHAT?!

Post by nop » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:04 am

Hi,

sadly I am having trouble with your very MD5 hash cracker.
It just makes my computer lag when I attempt to start cracking.
First it tells me: "CUDA kernel error: invalid device pointer", but then after a short while it goes completly crazy...Image

Specs:
- GFX drivers: v180.84 (I also tried older versions)
- CPU0-3: Intel Core2Duo QX6850
- GPU0: 8800GTX (Sparkle)
- GPU1: 9600GT (XFX, oc)

You can fix it, can't you? :(

Thanks in advance

the_drag0n
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: And I was like OMFGWHAT?!

Post by the_drag0n » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:00 am

are you running the 64bit version on a 32bit os ? because that is what it looks like.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:52 pm

Looks like guys having this error when working with 2 cards with different generations or something :-S
Right now I have no idea how to fix it, and on nVidia support forum there were no much ideas.
In the 0.9 version there will be a switch to disable GPUs.
Also, I am going to take second nVidia card for testing and try to reproduce this in debugging env.

kiando

Post by kiando » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:44 pm

I've also two different GPUs and never met this error.

the_drag0n

Post by the_drag0n » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:49 pm

yeah may be but nop has a 9000 and a 8000 GPU which seems to be bad.

kiando

Post by kiando » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:35 pm

me too

xprog

Post by xprog » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:07 pm

i used a 9800gt and a 8800gt together fine, but their nearly identical cards.

nop

Post by nop » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:20 am

Woot, answers!
Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that it's a 32bit version of Windows XP!
So, there is no chance to get it working? :cry:

Edit1:
After formating my system partition and reinstalling my OS plus drivers I could get it working (this time even the GPUs were used) for about 15 seconds, but then it crashed :(

Edit2:
There is another md5 hash cracking tool made by a french guy, which runs on my system, but it's much slower...

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:31 am

AFAIK 0.2v of Vernoux cracker does not uses multiple GPUs, just the first one.
It will work, but in the worst case will use just 1 GPU.

nop

Post by nop » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:39 am

I want to use neither v0.2 nor v0.1 of that cracker... I want to use yours! :cry:

mi7chy

Post by mi7chy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:45 am

By chance are you overclocking the CPU or GPU? If so, try setting to stock speed and retry. Another thing to try is run with just one video card. This program really stresses the your system including CPU, GPU, power supply and cooling. If anything is subpar you can potentially run into issues. I don't think I've run anything that causes the CPU and GPU temperature to rise so quickly so that's a testament to great coding and putting every bit of the system to good use. As far as the 9600GT it's just a renamed 8800 series using the same driver file so there shouldn't be any issues. Good luck...

nop

Post by nop » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:23 am

Hey, and thanks mi7chy. The manufacturer of my 9600GT is called "XFX" and used to overclock grafic cards.
I guess there is no chance to undo it, because they do it by modifying the hardware instead of using uber leet software.
So I removed it (pretty messy - see next sentence), but I still can't get BarsWF working.
Btw. cooling is no problem, since my system is water cooled and temperature won't rise higher than ~35°C even with 100% usage of all hardware components (like CPU, GPUs, NB/SB/Mosfet and so on).
Also fading of performance is no problem for me, I planned to buy some new gfx cards next year (3x GTX295 sound good). Therefor I am saving all my money x.x
And as far as I know the 8800GTX contains a G80 (90nm) graphics chip while the 9600GT contains a G94 (65nm) one, so they didn't just rename it ^^

mi7chy

Post by mi7chy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:43 am

You're correct.

8800GTS 320MB/640MB and 8800GTX are G80
8800GS, 8800GT, 8800GTS, 9800GTX, 9800GX2 are G9X

nop

Post by nop » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:25 am

mi7chy wrote:You're correct.
Thanks, lol. :D
Do you still have any idea what could be causing my problem? I want to get it working really bad...

OffTopic: phpBB3 smilies are creepy >_<

nop

Post by nop » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:46 pm

meep :cry:

d0PING

Post by d0PING » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:41 pm

>>because they do it by modifying the hardware instead of using uber leet software.
:crazy: what had they done?!!! Created new PCB one, or new memory chips!!! What exactly?!!! :D
First of all:you could rewrite yours adapter BIOS to decrease freq. to lower (stock one), experiment!!! :ugeek:
Second:try to run it for a some time with only one adapter.
Obviously, it's time dependent, so experiment.... 8-)
experiment kills the theory

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Yep, you should be able to lower core/mem clocks in bios, or using 3rd party tools at windows-boot time.
But this particular problem should not be caused by overclocking.

Just make sure that ATITool does not detect any errors(detect artifacts mode), and FurMark can run for 10 minutes without crashing (with antialiasing=off)

nop

Post by nop » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 pm

So I removed it..., but I still can't get BarsWF working.
By saying that I meant I removed the overclocked card (XFX 9600GT Alpha Dog XXX) with no success (then I installed it again). Meanwhile I removed it a second time, so right now there is only one graphics card installed (Sparkle 8800GTX), which is not overclocked. Still, BarsWF doesn't feel like doing it's job.
>>because they do it by modifying the hardware instead of using uber leet software.
:crazy: what had they done?!!! Created new PCB one, or new memory chips!!! What exactly?!!! :D
Hell, I am not a technician, but I guess they simply used weaker resistors, so the core has more voltage than usual...

Also ATItool says "No Errors" (2 h) and no anomalies while running FurMark (1/2 h), but thanks anyways :(

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:37 pm

Do you have the very latest drivers?

kokonoe

Post by kokonoe » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:26 pm

same problem there.
winXP 32bit SP 2.
XFX gtx260 with 216 sp + MSI 8800GTX OC.
nvidia's driver 181.22.
it gave me 1000+ Mhash/sec in the very first time. and I got my 7 symbols 0aA password from the hash in 49 secs.
but all other times i get this "kernel error: invalid device pointer". most of them crashed my machine and i had to reboot via reset.
___
что делать, незнаю. суммарная скорость впечатляет.

BarsMonster
Site Admin

Post by BarsMonster » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 am

kokonoe wrote:same problem there.
winXP 32bit SP 2.
XFX gtx260 with 216 sp + MSI 8800GTX OC.
nvidia's driver 181.22.
it gave me 1000+ Mhash/sec in the very first time. and I got my 7 symbols 0aA password from the hash in 49 secs.
but all other times i get this "kernel error: invalid device pointer". most of them crashed my machine and i had to reboot via reset.
___
что делать, незнаю. суммарная скорость впечатляет.
total speed is normal for your config.
But the instability... Could you reproduce the problem with only gx260 or 8800GTX?

nop

Post by nop » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:11 pm

All the other CUDA MD5-Hash crackers work fine for me. I even found one which is not that slow, but also not as fast as BarsWF, called CUDA Multiforcer.

Oh, and BarsWF (CUDA) still doesn't work for me.

Bitweasil

Post by Bitweasil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm

nop wrote:All the other CUDA MD5-Hash crackers work fine for me. I even found one which is not that slow, but also not as fast as BarsWF, called CUDA Multiforcer.
Wait for the 0.7 release. :) Speedups are very, very significant on larger hash lists. Like, a few order of magnitude. It's a bit faster on single hashes too, though still not BarsWF fast on a single hash.

nop

Post by nop » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:16 am

Feeling like this is the wrong place to tell you that, but I am looking forward to that release! :)

Bitweasil

Post by Bitweasil » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:57 am

nop wrote:Feeling like this is the wrong place to tell you that, but I am looking forward to that release! :)
Check some benchmarks over on my forum with the 1M & 5M lists.

I'm also working on some additional stuff - not sure if it will go in this release or not, but per-position-charset support (different character set for each position) is on the way.